Friday, May 8, 2009

Fabric necklace

When I saw this fabric necklace pattern online I knew I had to make it. Very cool and so simple. I did mine a little differently, but in hindsight, I should have sewn the fabric into a tube first to avoid the problem of raw edges and the beads peeking out the fabric.

Here are two othes tutorials:
fabric ball from Cut & Keep (great when you don't have beads)
fabric scrap necklace from craftgossip (this one is great, but you need long scraps)

What you need for my necklaces
string or thin wire for the necklace
large beads (I used 9 beads about 1.5cm/0.60" radius)
fabric scrap (mine were about 40cm/15.7" x 15cm/5.9")
necklace clasp
thread
scissors
needle

Step 1
Attach clasp to one side of string or wire

Step 1.5 (If I did it again)
Sew fabric, right sides together, into a tube and turn right side out.

Step 2
Fold one end of fabric around the string or wire (if you did step 1.5 then you would thread the string/wire into the fabric tube), fold and sew neatly so that there are no raw edges.


Step 3
Thread first bead onto string or wire, into fabric.


Step 4
Gather fabric around the bead and tie a piece of thread around so the bead is held in place.


Step 5
Repeat steps 3 & 4 until all beads have been threaded

Done

No comments:

Post a Comment